Latin Catholic by birth, Byzantine Catholic by the grace of God.
Pro: Restoration of the Holy and Universal Christian Roman Empire.
Caveat: The author makes no claim to being an exemplar of Catholicism or Monarchism (or blogging).
Under the patronage of St. George. Please view at 1024x768.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happy Norwegian Independence Day!



(One day early).


This year, instead of concentrating on modern flag-wavers as in years past, let us look to another Norse freedom fighter of long ago.

Enjoy this fine image of St. Olav distributing money before the Battle of Stiklestad. The day pictured here won't end well for our fine friend.

In iconography, Olav is depicted holding the axe that was the instrument of his martyrdom.

Olav died, in part, so that my ancestors could be free from the tyranny of false gods. So while freedom from Denmark is great, being out from under Odin-Allfather is ever better.

***

If you'd like more facts about Norway's birth as a modern nation, click here.

2 Comments:

Blogger N. Trandem said...

Cool, I didn't realize you were a fellow Norseman! I tend to play up my German ancestors as that's the Catholic side, but I've at least as much Norwegan blood. The Trandems are from outside Trondheim, where are the Haraldssons from?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:50:00 PM  
Blogger Guy Haraldsson said...

Much of my Norwegian family originates outside of Grimstad; they are mostly Johanssens.

Grandpa Haraldsson was a merchant marine from a seafaring family. When he and my grandmother moved to the U.S., it turned out he was already a citizen (and didn't know it), because he was born here. So he didn't have much in the way of roots - in true Viking style.

I tend to play up my Nordic side, although they are mostly low church Protestants, because they have better manners, less emotional drama, and more natural beauty than my Irish/Mohawk relatives (who are largely low church Catholics).

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home