Latin Catholic by birth, Byzantine Catholic by the grace of God.
Pro: Restoration of the Holy and Universal Christian Roman Empire.
Caveat: The author makes no claim to being an exemplar of Catholicism or Monarchism (or blogging).
Under the patronage of St. George. Please view at 1024x768.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Know your place, aesthetically

I planned on writing a screed about a local talk radio host doing a "conservative talk" format, and failing badly. He reminds me of an English professor who told my class to avoid love poems in favor of other topics, "unless you can compete with Shakespeare." Instead of explaining this concept in the long form, I thought I'd just use a few examples and the point would be made.

Unless you can match Rush Limbaugh, don't do conservative talk radio.

Unless you can top The Who, don't write new classic rock.

Unless you can outdo Dostoyevski, don't publish stream-of-consciousness novels.

Otherwise, you're just embarassing yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home