Latin Catholic by birth, Byzantine Catholic by the grace of God.
Pro: Restoration of the Holy and Universal Christian Roman Empire.
Caveat: The author makes no claim to being an exemplar of Catholicism or Monarchism (or blogging).
Under the patronage of St. George. Please view at 1024x768.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

Monday, October 10, 2005

Mass among the bourgeois barbarians

A social event forced me to a Novus cOrdo on Saturday. Horrifying! Outside of the regular decay I expect, women on the altar, the CirKiss of Peace, priest facing the congregation, pre and mid-Mass congregational yakking, acolettes, charismatic palm-up posture, "lay ministers" and recipients grubbing the Eucharist with their fingers, and the constant use of the words "fellowship" and "community," there were other frightening moments that really did scare me.

  • The only time the priest was ad orientam was when he held the basket o' cash from the collection over his head and gesticulated with it. Is this the Temple of Mammon? Creepy.
  • Although the ancient, glowing white marble altar was still intact with a working tabernacle, the Body of Christ was placed in a side altar by a fat woman in hip-hugger jeans. Extra creepy.
  • Before a mid-Mass baptism, the priest asked us to turn around and face the baptistry, putting our backs to the tabernacle for his song-and-dance version of the sacrament. Super creepy.
  • The celebrant relaxed during Communion, and allowed the concelebrant and the aforementioned jean-wearing woman to "hand out" the Eucharist while he lounged. Downright heebie-jeebie creepy.

At least I was able to buy a sweet pair of sacrificial doves in the back of the church. Only two sheckels a piece! Okay, now I'm pulling your leg. They were four sheckels.

After Mass, my father was driving me to the next item on the day's itinerary, and I tried to keep the subject on our upcoming dinner. But he had to ask ... ask what I thought. I told him it was the most decadent liturgy I'd ever witnessed.

My dad is a Roman deacon neo-Catholic (and let's keep our comments genteel, please), and pointed out that he noticed the celebrant sitting-out Communion, and also that it's against the rubrics to speak "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith," if you aren't going to chant it. "But decadent? Certainly Guy is just being his hyperbolizing self," his body language conveyed.

But I was quite honestly stunned and offended at the whole mess, and shuddered when a Catholic clergyman, who is honest despite his rose-colored glasses, wasn't horrified along with me.

***

The lunatics are running the asylum, and everyone else has been institutionalized so long, they've ceased to realize there's a sane world outside.

God is angry - he must be. Complete disrespect of The Holy One is going to bring down terrible punishment, unless our situation already is The Lord of Sabaoth's rod on our backs.

If this is our divinely appointed scourging, or if it's still on the way, better we get it here on Earth than elsewhere.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, October 10, 2005 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Curmudgeon said...

CirKiss of peace? In the paperback missalettes in the rural parish where I get stuck at novus ordo masses sometimes it's labelled the "Holy Howdy-Do"

Wow, you're dad's a permanent deacon. You need to bring him around. I'm sure your priest could use another clergyman to distribute holy communion.

Monday, October 10, 2005 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Guy Haraldsson said...

It's neither my regular church (Ukrainian Byzantine), nor his (a less nauseating NO parish).

He didn't offer to assist at this Mass.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Curmudgeon said...

Obviously wasn't your parish, but I misread your post to think maybe it was his.

Oh well, it's over now, at least until the next trip out of town.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm. said...

You have summed up many of my own experiences! If you're ever in Kansas City, feel free to attend St Phillipine Duchesne Latin Mass Community in full communion with our local Ordinary and our Holy Father, Benedict XVI!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger DP said...

Well, you'd die if you came to Sunday mass at the parish I attend right now (the closest parish, literally down the street from me...).

Let's see...

1. Consistently girl altar servers.
2. The priest wears jeans and t-shirts under his vestments.
3. Tabernacle to the side (my personal pet peve).
4. More extraordinary ministers than people in the parish...at least it seems that way... probably only about 100 people at mass, yet five extraordinary ministers.
5. Priest leaves the sanctuary with the blessed sacrament on the altar after consecration sometimes!!!!
6. If you go up to receive communion on your tongue, fifty percent of the time you will be given a blessing because they don't understand.
7. A quarter of the parish doesn't kneel for the consecration! Most people don't kneel for the eucharistic prayer.
8. There are no pews, and no kneelers, it's chairs on a carpet floor church!
9. People very rarely genuflect when going to sit down - maybe they don't know where Jesus is since the tabernacle is to the side.
10. The Sunday evening mass includes a drum kid, an electric base, an electric guitar, bongos, and so much more.
11. People clap at the end of mass - as if it were a show.
12. The priest walks up and down the main aisle as he gives his homily!

The list could go on... a long ways...

I'm not someone who regularly goes to latin mass, although I have been before and found it very beautiful. Just because I don't go to latin mass though, doesn't mean I can't expect dignity and respect of the Blessed Sacrament at Mass.

Thanks be to God that the Sacrament is still valid - I haven't seen the Eucharistic prayer altered yet. No matter how bad the liturgy, I go to meet Christ in the Eucharist and so I go, but Lord, have mercy on us!

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger JWY said...

I enjoyed reading this report. When we emerge from the Babylonian exile, we'll have all sorts of great stories to tell about the miserable Novus Ordo.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"God is angry - he must be. Complete disrespect of The Holy One is going to bring down terrible punishment, unless our situation already is The Lord of Sabaoth's rod on our backs."

Back in my non-religious days I used to marvel at how society just fell apart in the 1960s...now I know why -> A marked decrease in the number of valid Masses being said.

Great post.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home